Sunday, April 22, 2012

new fave breakfast: banana-spinach shake

A friend recently suggested a spinach-banana smoothie (she had made hers with a base of water and ice) and so I decided to make my own (base of oj and added soy protein).

bananas, spinach and oj


everything came together nicely, blended up in mere seconds


the only thing i'd do differently next time, chill the spinach (maybe even the banana) ahead of time

And that's it! Play around, add something else (but you can't get much healthier or cheaper than spinach and bananas) and sip up. The next day I added grapes, but their skins didn't blend up enough and I wouldn't do it again. Berries are always amazing and I'm hoping to try kale soon. Let me know how it goes!

*Thanks to Jeannine for her suggestion that I peel and freeze bananas in advance. This is truly the perfect solution, because bananas always go spotty before I get to the last one anyway, and they will help make the smoothie cold! Win!

*Live and learn! 1 cup cold water, 1.5-2 cups fresh, washed spinach, 1 frozen banana chopped, a few berries thawed but not warm, this is my most successful recipe! (trying not to overdo the soy protein...you don't want too much of that stuff in ya!)

No comments:

Post a Comment